This is the perfect appetizer or side dish for Spring, with asparagus in season! The beauty about this recipe is you can substitute ingredients, mix & match, combine spices and still create a delicious dish.
For example, instead of Parma Ham, you could use smoked salmon and add some dill in the herb mix, or eggs (hard or soft boiled), quartered and displayed on top of the tart. Instead of Gruyere cheese, you could use shredded Mozzarella and Parmesan.
The recipe is simple, easy and so delicious, just perfect for the season!
For a spring menu, I love to pair the Asparagus Tart with a roast lamb or ham, or with deviled eggs and baked sweet potatoes for a vegetarian option.
Asparagus with Cheese and Parma Ham Tart
- 1 Bundle Asparagus (the thin type)
- 1/2 cup Gruyere Swiss Cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Basil leaves
- 6 to 8 slices Parma or Prosciutto ham
- 1 cup Arugula or watercress
- 1 tbsp Olive oil to drizzle over top
- 1/2 Lemon, juiced
- 1 sheet Frozen Puff Pastry, thawed
- Freshly ground Himalaya Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Ground dry Herbes de Provence seasoning
- Preheat oven to 425F / 220 C
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Unfold the puff pastry and lay on the baking sheet. Prick the pastry all over with a fork. Brush with some olive oil and sprinkle with the dry Herbes de Provence. Sprinkle 1/4 cup basil leaves on top. Add a layer of grated Gruyere cheese. Add the asparagus in a layer on top of the cheese. Drizzle olive oil on top, add salt & pepper.
- Bake for around 25 to 30 minutes
- Meanwhile, mix the arugula, remaining basil leaves with the lemon juice and olive oil, season with salt and pepper
- When the tart is ready, add the parma or prosciutto ham on top and sprinkle the arugula/basil mixture on top.
Another fun appetizer for an Easter or Spring menu is the puff pastry “carrots”, please check out my easy recipe on how to make the carrots shells with puff pastry.
We hope you love the products we recommend. Just so you know we may collect a compensation from the affiliate links on this page if you decide to shop from them, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support.