After cooking pork belly many ways like braising, poaching, roasting, slow-cooking and more, this is absolutely the easiest way to prepare pork belly… The best part is it’s really passive, so you can do other tasks while the pork belly is slowly baked with enticing aroma wafting through your kitchen…
The key to achieve the stickiness and finger-licking deliciousness is the shallots (major aromatic enhancer) and the brown sugar (for the stickiness). The dark soy sauce is adding the deep color, while the fish sauce is full of umami flavor. The pork belly is then roasted at low heat for around 70 to 80 minutes, depending on your oven.
It’s so easy that it doesn’t require any recipes, and you can play around with the ingredients according to your preferences. For example, you could add other spices like cinnamon, star anise, chili flakes if you wish.
I did not even have to use my oven… I have baked these in my toaster oven!
- Start with 2 or 3 pork belly strips, it should be quite thick, at least 1/2 inch or 13 mm placed in a baking tray.
- Preheat the toaster oven or oven to 230 F / 110 C
- Mince a handful of shallots and 2 or 3 cloves of garlic. Place the shallots and garlic in a bowl, add 3 tablespoons of dark soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of fish sauce, 3 tablespoons of brown sugar. Mix well. Pour the sauce over the pork belly strips.
- Rub the marinade all over the pork belly.
- Place the pork belly baking tray in the toaster oven or regular oven and bake for 45 minutes. Flip the pork belly strips over and put back in the oven for another 30 to 40 minutes.
They just come out perfect, no need to baste, pre-marinate or anything!
You can enjoy these caramelized pork belly with steamed rice or ramen noodles, or as sliders.
To make Pork Belly Sliders, get brioche buns or Hawaiian sweet rolls, add pork belly, pickled vegetables and a dash of Sriracha Mayo and you’ll have a real treat!
Or you could serve the pork belly with crunchy vegetables.
TIP: Do not discard the fat left on the baking tray. Keep 1 or 2 tablespoons in the baking tray, add butternut squash or cubed potatoes, sweet potatoes, or brussel sprouts and bake at 350 F / 180 C for 20 to 30 minutes depending on the quantity (flip them half way through), and you’ll have succulent roasted butternut squash like in the below picture!
We hope you love the products we recommend. Just so you know we may collect a compensation from the affiliate links on this page if you decide to shop from them, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support.